Did you know… 10 Facts about Turkey
1. The oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (7th Millenium B.C.)
2. The famous Trojan Wars took place in Western Turkey, Truva town where the Trojan horse rests today.
3. The first church built by man (St. Peter’s Church) is in Antioch (Antakya), Turkey.
4. Istanbul is the only city in the world built on two continents, Asia and Europe.
5. Two of the Seven Wonders of the World stood in Anatolia: the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. [Before & now]
6. St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Claus, was born in Demre, on Turkey’s Mediterranean Coast.
7. According to the legend, Noah’s Ark landed on Mount Ararat (Agri Dagi) in Eastern Turkey.
8. The last meal on Noah’s Ark, a pudding of sweet and sour taste, “asure”, is still served throughout Turkey.
9. Turks introduced coffee to Europe.
10. Istanbul has the historical building of Sirkeci Train Station. This was the last stop of the Orient Express - "kings of trains and train of kings" - between Paris and Constantinople (Istanbul) from 1883 to 1977. Agatha Christie was one of the passengers of this famous train.